west somerset railway accommodation
west somerset railway accommodation, bed and breakfast, exmoor, minehead, porlock, dunster, somerset, accommodation, walking, riding, railway, beach, walks, cycling, lynton, lynmouth, holiday
You may find this information helpful when researching the area prior to your visit
On 20 October 1817, following a meeting of local gentry who resolved to perpetuate the memory of the military achievements of His Grace the Duke of Wellington, the foundation stone of this imposing obelisk known as the Wellington Monument was laid. The west somerset railway accommodation site was well chosen. Standing high on the Blackdown Hills, this polite gesture to the Iron Duke, 175 feet of beautiful ashlar masonry, is visible across half Somerset. It was designed by Thomas Lee, the architect of Arlington Court. A winding staircase of 235 steps leads up to the summit. The views towards west somerset railway accommodation can only be described as breath-taking.
The exposed west somerset railway accommodation position – the wind can whistle with extraordinary ferocity through the apertures of the little chamber at the top – makes the obelisk particularly vulnerable to the weather. The cost of repair is a recurring problem.
Late in December 1796, Coleridge and his wife Sarah and infant son, moved into what was then a pretty, low, thatched cottage west somerset railway accommodation with a clear brook running before the door. He was to stay three years and to write in the cottage most of his best verse: The Ancient Mariner, the first part of Christabel and This Lime-Tree Bower my Prison.
Though the cottage was much altered in the 19th century west somerset railway accommodation, and only four rooms remain that existed in Coleridge’s day, it was here that the poet, as opposed to that later prose writer, found his deepest inspiration. William and Dorothy Wordsworth, established in 1797 at Alfoxden, often came over to Stowey and Charles Lamb was a welcome visitor to west somerset railway accommodation. It was during a walk with Wordsworth that the idea of The Ancient mariner took shape, and the poem contains direct references to place in the west somerset railway accommodation neighbourhood.
At the east end of Barrington village, the ‘wet end of west somerset railway accommodation’, the low-lying fertile countryside south of Taunton, still seems remote, untouched by changes in taste and fashion. Yet here, in the mid-16th century, arose a country house whose traditional medieval architecture is spiced with Renaissance features. For example, the south front is symmetric, designed on the E-plan which is often regarded as an Elizabethan innovation. The simple vertical lines of the house, built of honey-coloured Ham Hill stone, lead the eye upward past dormer windows to the many-gabled roof, where twisted spiral chimneystacks and finials, topped with scale work caps, are set along the skyline like giant chessmen.
For many years west somerset railway accommodation Henry Daubeney has been named as builder of Barrington Court west somerset railway accommodation. The property had belonged to his family from the 13th century and when he inherited it in 1508 there was probably an old house on the site of the present buildings. Henry gravitated to the court of Henry VIII, financing his extravagant way of life by disposing of his country properties. In 1543 he sold Barrington to his cousin, Sir Thomas Arundell, retaining only a life interest. Soon after his death in 1547 the property was purchased by William Clifton, a wealthy Norfolk merchant who lived west somerset railway accommodation there from 1559 until 1564. It is now suggested that he may have built Barrington Court, because a mid-16th century date accords better with its architecture and there is no west somerset railway accommodation documentary evidence to suggest it was built by the Daubeneys. Subsequently the property was acquired by the west somerset railway accommodation Strode family, who built the brick stable block adjoining the house about 1670 and lived at Barrington for a hundred and fifty years.