bed and breakfast somerset

Yearnor Mill B&B Porlock U.K.  Exmoor Walking Riding and Cycling
Yearnor Mill
bed and breakfast somerset
Home Page About us The Location Tariff and Booking Local Views Testimonials Contact us


bed and breakfast somerset, bed and breakfast, exmoor, minehead, porlock, dunster, somerset, accommodation, walking, riding, railway, beach, walks, cycling, lynton, lynmouth, holiday

You may find this information helpful when researching the area prior to your visit

When staying in bed and breakfast somerset, visitors should make the time to visit Dunster Castle, in Somerset. It is in Dunster village, two miles south-east of Minehead, on the A396. Close to the border of Somerset and Devon, bed breakfast somerset, where the little river Avill runs to the sea at a point where the Quantock and Bredon Hills meet the northernmost tip of exmoor, a wooded mound dominates the mouth of the valley. For a thousand years there has been a fortress on this site. In the Doomsday Book it is mentioned as Torre, a tower belonging to Aluric the Saxon. After the Norman invasion Dunster and various other manors were granted to William de Mohun and a castle was erected, now an attraction for those staying bed and breakfast somerset. In 1376 Lady Joan de Mohun sold the castle and estate to Lady Elizabeth Luttrell for 5000 mercks. The redoubtable vendor retained the life interest and had the best of the bargain for she outlived the Lady Elizabeth by thirty years, dying in 1404. Sir Hugh Luttrell quickly took possession, although the de Mohun hers contested the transaction and brought him to court. The Luttrells remained at Dunster for over five hundred years (except for an interregnum of some thirty years during which the estates were forfeited in the Wars of the Roses bed and breakfast somerset) until 1976, when Lt. Col. Walter Luttrell gave the castle and park to the National Trust.

Of the Saxon tower and Norman castle nothing remains; the oldest bed and breakfast somerset feature is the 13th century gateway to the lower ward. The castle then comprised an upper ward on the summit of the Tor and a lower ward with a curtain wall and semi-circular bastions. When Sir Hugh Luttrell moved in he built the gatehouse, now known as the bed and breakfast somerset Tenant's Hall over the gateway and repaired the castle. His direct descendant, John Luttrell, who inherited in 1538, was a picturesque figure. He fought with Henry VIII's armies in the struggles against the Scots and was knighted after the sack of Edinburgh in 1554. His famous allegorical portrait by Hans Eworth hangs in the hall. In 1617 his nephew, George Luttrell, contracted with William Arnold who built Monacute for a "house or parcel of buildings to be set up and built within the Castle of Dunster". There were wrangles between the two but the work was done and the castle transformed into a Jacobean house with the conventional H-shaped ground plan bed and breakfast somerset. George Luttrell also built the octagonal yarn market in the centre of Dunster which lies directly beneath the castle.

During the Civil War Dunster Castle was a focal point in the struggle in the west. Thomas Luttrell inclined to the Parliamentary cause and refused bed and breakfast somerset access to a Royalist force in 1642. The next summer a stronger force returned and he immediately surrendered. A garrison under Colonel Wyndham took over the castle. Two years later the young Prince of Wales was sent to bed and breakfast somerset to rekindle support for the King and spent a fortnight at Dunster. In November 1645 Colonel Blake surrounded the castle and the siege lasted until April 1626 when Colonel Wyndham surrendered with honour. After Charles I's execution in 1649 the war was over but the country was still troubled and Royalist risings were feared bed and breakfast somerset. Dunster was felt to be a potential threat, so orders were given for it to be demolished leaving only the house and gatehouse.

www.exmoorwalksbandb.co.uk
bed-and-breakfast-somerset.html