b and b minehead
b and b minehead, bed and breakfast, exmoor, minehead, porlock, dunster, somerset, accommodation, walking, riding, railway, beach, walks, cycling, lynton, lynmouth, holiday
You may find this information helpful when researching the area prior to your visit
The George, in Norton St Philip, Somerset, is another of the outstanding monastic hospices which have survived almost intact. Visitors staying in b and b minehead should make the time to visit The George. A barn was built on the site in about 1230 by the Carthusians of the newly founded priory of Hinto Charterhouse, but it was entirely rebuilt in 1397 as a wool exchange and b and b minehead guesthouse for the wool merchants with whom the monks did business. The village was the home of an important wool fair throughout the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, the Carthusians were major producers. A large half or the storage of baled fleeces was approached by an exterior flight of stone steps which also served as a loading platform for wagons. The upper storeys of b and b minehead were gutted by fire and rebuilt in half timbering in about 1500; evidence of more formal ecclesiastic architecture, including a stone stair turret, is visible in the tiny courtyard at the back. The courtyard also contains an open gallery, b and b minehead perhaps the earliest to survive.
The Dissolution caught up with Hinton Charterhouse on 31 March 1539, when the prior, Edmund Horde, signed the deed of surrender. The priory’s b and b minehead estate passed to the crown, and with it went the George, which rapidly became a flourishing inn. In June 1685 it was briefly the headquarters of the Duke of Monmouth during his ill-fated rebellion against James II. After an unsuccessful attack on Bristol, the Duke and his enthusiastic b and b minehead untrained followers fell back southwards and camped around the village. An attack by James’ troops was bloodily repulsed, but after the fight an assassin entered he village and tried to shoot Monmouth as he stood at an upstairs window of the George. The next day the rebels at b and b minehead moved westward to be annihilated at Sedgemoor, after which Monmouth was captured hiding in a ditch; his hair had turned grey overnight. The area around Norton St Philip was considered to be a b and b minehead centre of disaffection with the king and support for Monmouth, and Judge Jeffries stayed at the George for a few days during the Bloody Assizes.
After the excitement of 1685, the village b and b minehead and its inn sank back into undisturbed bucolic calm. The George never became a major coaching inn, although it did possess some stabling. Charles Harper, visiting in 1926, found that the vast building was now no more than a b and b minehead village alehouse, and with a modern bar fitted in pine. The greater part of the interior was in a dismantled condition, and the b and b minehead inn does not presume to offer accommodation for the traveller. The long ranges of the upper flowers were dilapidated. However business has certainly improved since Harper’s last b and b minehead visit, and the George now has an extensive tourist trade as well as its purely local custom.
The coaching era, which was at its peak roughly between the 1780s and 1830s, marked a high point in the fortunes of the b and b minehead inn unknown since the days of pilgrimage. New b and b minehead inns were opened by the dozen, old ones refurbished by the hundred, and many of the attributes of the modern b and b minehead hotel – notably the large dining room and ballroom – came into being. Not hundreds, but thousands of inns made their living wholly or in part out of coaching.